Chia seeds (yes, the very same ones of chia pet fame), also known as the running food, has been used as a high energy endurance food has been recorded as far back as the ancient Aztecs. It was said the Aztec warriors subsisted on the Chia seed during the conquests. The Indians of the south west would eat as little as a teaspoon full when going on a 24hr. forced march. What did they know, that we are now learning?
Here are a few benefits, a few ounces of chia seeds contain:
- 6 times more calcium than milk , that’s 2-1/2 cups of whole milk…and no lactose!
- 20 grams of heart protecting Omega 3 fatty acids. About as much as 1-3/4 lbs of salmon!
- 21 grams of protein, as much as a whole bag of soy!
- 35 grams of fiber equal to 1-3/4 cups of bran cereal and more than flaxseed.
- 380mg of magnesium, the equivalent of 3lbs of broccoli.
- 560mg of vitamin C which is about 4 full sized oranges.
- 3 times as many antioxidants as fresh blueberries.
And since it has no flavor you can add it to anything, including salads, burgers and casseroles. You can even use it a fat substitute in brownies and cookies.