Over 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide every year – and less than 1% are recycled. The other 99% contribute to the death of over 100,000 marine mammals every year.  Plastic bags also require petroleum and natural gas to produce – resources that are limited and non-renewable.

 

OK THEN, PAPER?! No Way! 

Paper bags actually require four times as much energy to produce. They also generate 70% more air pollution in the production process than plastic bags. They cost more to transport to stores across the country because they are more dense. To provide American consumers with enough paper bags to fill their needs for one year, it necessitated the harvesting of 14 MILLION trees. Just for paper bags!

 

MORAL of the story?- USE REUSABLE SHOPPING BAGS

Advertisements